Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Presenting: Summer

I see, waking up early is not so bad after all.

One gets to take in the pure, crisp, slightly misty morning air, before everything gets all hot and fiery and absolutely loud.

Loud, in spite of the pin drop silence around. The harshest of sun-rays forcing into my room through the half inch of naked glass under the heavy drapery that lines one complete side of the room. The towering trees around forced to shine, pursing out all the chlorophyll in store. Charred grass smelling like charred grass, shriveling down into dusty nothingness under the lightest of steps. This is New Delhi.

My college is in Gurgaon, near New Delhi, and is situated in the arid region of India. About 1,500 kilometers away from the coastal plains of Kolkata where I was born and raised. Why I am here and where I move on from here is a different story for a different day.

I wake up everyday amidst the loud wails of nature emanating from the deep crevasses of the Earth. It isn’t so bad throughout the year. But the Summers here, probably kill a small part of everybody. They make people crabby and irritable, dogs impatient and desperate, birds tired and wary. Hours drag on. Moments don’t end. The good part of the day ends before most people wake up and begins only after the languid evenings have set in.

And apparently it isn’t even summer yet.

No comments: