Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ground Rules

There was this one time, one afternoon, when I got down at the wrong bus stop and lost my way in the labyrinth that is Saltlake. But that wasn't entirely bad. I enjoyed the newness of it, and scrambled my way out of the unfamiliarity. But it was new nonetheless - whitewashed exteriors of imposing houses intercepted with geometries of reds and greens, and the serenity of the afternoon seemed all the more perfect.
And then when I finally reached a street that I recognised, I sighed as a tingling sensation of dissapointment took over. The adventure was over, I was to head straight home.
What I feel now is somewhat like getting lost, immersed in the convoluted confusion of it all. Where there is no routine, no monotony, no taking anything for granted. I am scared I will settle in some time and will again be dragged into the distraught world of regularity. The advnture will then be over and the longing will begin.

So yes, I arrived in the United States last friday and things haven't changed much since the first day I landed in here, except now I am lucky enough to find a few spare moments of speculation where I get to process the enormous amount of change my entire system just went through.
I wish I knew what I should be doing at every step of the way now, starting afresh should be done right the second time around.








_____________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

D said...

I wish I had a second time (or would it be the third?) to start afresh!